Wendel and his Dad have been having a hard time in the morning getting ready for school and out the door on time. What if they chunk their morning down and plan out what they have to do? Taking a big situation and breaking it down into smaller steps might get them out the door!
- Proactively identify challenging routines/expectations for your child/family
- Recognizing and validating that the routine/expectation is challenging for everyone
- Working collaboratively with the child to develop a plan so that they feel involved and heard in the process.
- Trying to compromise and incorporate the child’s suggestions as much as is appropriate/possible
These videos were developed in partnership with the Mary J. Wright Child Youth and Development Clinic, Faculty of Education Western University
Watch the video below first, then watch the video as a family!
- Working together to solve the problem helps to increase the likelihood your child will follow through on the plan
- Try your best not to invalidate their ideas and feelings in this situation
- Recognizing that the initial plan may need to be adjusted after trying to implement it